- The Drum Jams happen every Wednesday, from 7-9:30pm, at the Electric Maid, 268 Carroll St., Takoma Park, DC. $5.00. Drums provided or bring your own!
SAVE THE DATE: GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL – SEPTEMBER 27, 2014
- The 2nd Annual Greenbelt Rhythm and Drum Festival is happening on September 27, 2014. This day-long festival features performances from DC area multi-cultural drum ensembles, community drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more! And best of all, it’s FREE! 11am-11pm, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD.
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT DRUM JAMS! April 23 & 30 7-9:30pm. Electric Maid. $5.00. April 23 is a special fundraising event for the Greenbelt Rhythm & Drum Festival. We are asking for a $25 donation at the door.
- APRIL 26 – Health Equity Drum Circle at UMD. 12pm Help create a Guinness World Record for largest drum circle!
- APRIL 27 – COMMUNITY DRUM CIRCLE at Takoma Park Earth Day Celebration, 4pm.
- MAY 10 – DJESBEN at the Green Man Festival, Greenbelt, MD, 4pm
- MAY 11 – COMMUNITY DRUM CIRCLE at the Green Man Festival, Greenbelt, MD
- MAY 15-16-17 – JOHN K. BAND NorthEast Tour: Wilkes Barre > Boston > Mighty High Fest NJ
- JUNE 12-13-14 – JOHN K. BAND Smokey Mountain Tour: Roanoke > Chattanooga > Asheville
- JULY 4 – COMMUNITY DRUM CIRCLE at Greenbelt’s 4th of July Fireworks Celebration, Greenbelt, MD
- JULY 5 – DJESBEN at the New Deal Cafe, Greenbelt, MD
- SEPTEMBER 27 – GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD, 11am-11pm, Free! Full day of multi-cultural drum performances, drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more!
- OCTOBER 5 – DJESBEN at Takoma Park Street Festival, Takoma Park, MD
Music is a gift. As a drummer, I feel the healing power of music through drum circles and performance. Drumming connects us through rhythm … transforms us through music … celebrates our joy. And that, to me, is a healing experience.
Music Heals Us is Katy Gaughan‘s organization that brings the healing experience of group drumming to music festivals, community events, schools, church groups, health and wellness centers, senior citizen facilities, women’s groups, men’s groups, retreats, ritual celebrations.
Katy Gaughan is a hand percussionist and drum circle facilitator in the Washington, DC area. Katy loves bringing community together through music, especially drumming. Katy facilitates drum circles, team building events, drum experiences for retreats, and performs with the bands Djesben, John K Band and the Akoma Drummers.
“4-3-2-1-STOP-2-BACK TO THE GROOVE!”
Katy jumping to a stop at the Green Man Festival’s community drum circle. May 2012.
Pic by Gabriel Jones
Katy facilitates a community drum circle at the Town of Greenbelt’s 4th of July Fireworks Celebration, July 2012. Video by Trevor Siegel.
Katy plays with her band Djesben, at Fantastic Farm, August 2012. This song is “We Stand in Sapphire Silence.” John Kadlecik sits in on violin. Video by Josh Burch.
Katy performs with John K Band at The Blockley in Philadelphia, Sept. 2012. This song is “What’s Become of Mary?” Video by AJ Genovesi.
To see more pics & video of Katy in action, visit my Photo/Video/Audio Gallery.
If you are looking for a drum circle for your special event, a prayerful drum workshop, a teambuilding with drums, drumming for your health and wellness retreat, or musical performance, I am happy to be of service. Please contact me and let’s talk!
IN THE NEWS
Katy was profiled in the April 2011 issue of the Takoma Voice. Click here to read it!
John K Band article in the Takoma Park Newsletter, Oct. 2010 See it here, page 3, “Local Musician Joins the Big Time”
Katy was given a wonderful testimonial in the July issue of Greenbelt’s newsletter, July 2010. See it here, page 2, “Drumming Neglected” by Trevor Siegel
Katy wrote about her experience leading a women’s retreat in Ohio that was published in the Shalem News, Fall 2008. To read that article, click here.