- Our last Summer Drum Jams is September 3, 6:30-8:30pm, at the Takoma Park Gazebo. The Gazebo is located at 7035 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park, MD (across from Roscoe’s Pizzeria). Drums provided for bring your own. Family-friendly event, all ages welcome. $5-10 donation encouraged! September 3, 2014.
GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL - SEPTEMBER 27, 2014
- The 2nd Annual Greenbelt Rhythm and Drum Festival is happening on September 27, 2014. This day-long festival features performances from DC area multi-cultural drum ensembles, community drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more! And best of all, it’s FREE! 11am-11pm, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD.
- AUGUST 30 – DJESBEN with The U-Liners and Elikeh Afropop at Iota Club & Cafe 8:30pm. 2832 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA, $15.00.
- SEPTEMBER 3 – WEDNESDAY NIGHT DRUM JAMS OUTSIDE at the Takoma Park Gazebo, 6-8:30pm. 7035 Carroll Ave., Takoma Park, MD (across from Roscoe’s Pizzeria). $5-10 donation encouraged.
- SEPTEMBER 19 – JOHN K. BAND with Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams at Bergen PAC, 7:30pm. 30 N Van Brunt St, Englewood, NJ. $25-$35.
- SEPTEMBER 27 – GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD, 11am-11pm, Free! Full day of multi-cultural drum performances, drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more!
- OCTOBER 5 – DJESBEN at Takoma Park Street Festival, Willow St. Stage, 11am. Takoma Park, MD. FREE.
- OCTOBER 24 – DJESBEN with Terrapin Flyer (featuring Melvin Seals and Mark Karan) at The Circuit, 8pm. 104 Back River Neck Rd, Essex, MD. $20.
Music is a gift. As a drummer, I feel the healing power of music through drum circles and performance. Drumming connects us through rhythm … transforms us through music … celebrates our joy. And that, to me, is a healing experience.
Music Heals Us is Katy Gaughan‘s organization that brings the healing experience of group drumming to music festivals, community events, schools, church groups, health and wellness centers, senior citizen facilities, women’s groups, men’s groups, retreats, ritual celebrations.
Katy Gaughan is a hand percussionist and drum circle facilitator in the Washington, DC area. Katy loves bringing community together through music, especially drumming. Katy facilitates drum circles, team building events, drum experiences for retreats, and performs with the bands Djesben and John K. Band.
“4-3-2-1-STOP-2-BACK TO THE GROOVE!”
Katy jumping to a stop at the Green Man Festival’s community drum circle. May 2012.
Pic by Gabriel Jones
Katy facilitates a community drum circle at the Town of Greenbelt’s 4th of July Fireworks Celebration, July 2012. Video by Trevor Siegel.
Katy plays with her band Djesben, at Fantastic Farm, August 2012. This song is “We Stand in Sapphire Silence.” John Kadlecik sits in on violin. Video by Josh Burch.
Katy performs with John K Band at The Blockley in Philadelphia, Sept. 2012. This song is “What’s Become of Mary?” Video by AJ Genovesi.
To see more pics & video of Katy in action, visit my Photo/Video/Audio Gallery.
If you are looking for a drum circle for your special event, a prayerful drum workshop, a teambuilding with drums, drumming for your health and wellness retreat, or musical performance, I am happy to be of service. Please contact me and let’s talk!
IN THE NEWS
Katy was profiled in the April 2011 issue of the Takoma Voice. Click here to read it!
John K Band article in the Takoma Park Newsletter, Oct. 2010 See it here, page 3, “Local Musician Joins the Big Time”
Katy was given a wonderful testimonial in the July issue of Greenbelt’s newsletter, July 2010. See it here, page 2, “Drumming Neglected” by Trevor Siegel
Katy wrote about her experience leading a women’s retreat in Ohio that was published in the Shalem News, Fall 2008. To read that article, click here.