- The Drum Jams happen every Wednesday starting February 5, from 7-9:30pm, at the Electric Maid, 268 Carroll St., Takoma Park, DC. $5.00. Drums provided or bring your own!
SAVE THE DATE: GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL – OCTOBER 18, 2014
- I am thrilled to announce the 2nd Annual Greenbelt Rhythm and Drum Festival is happening on October 18, 2014. This day-long festival features performances from DC area multi-cultural drum ensembles, community drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more! And best of all, it’s FREE! 11am-11pm, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD.
- FEBRUARY 5 – WEDNESDAY NIGHT DRUM JAMS RETURN! Every Wednesday through March 26, 7-9:30pm. Electric Maid. $5.00. See announcement above for more details.
- FEBRUARY 15-23 – I am a participant in the East Coast Drum Circle Facilitation Training with Arthur Hull & Drum Circle Facilitator’s Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC
- MARCH 8 – DJESBEN with Zydeco Jed at Gypsy Sally’s, Georgetown, WDC, 9pm
- MARCH 20 – DJESBEN at Roscoe’s, Takoma Park MD, 10pm
- MARCH 28 – JOHN K. BAND at The Hamilton, WDC, 9pm
- MARCH 29 – JOHN K. BAND at Ram’s Head Live, Baltimore, 9pm
- APRIL 11 – DJESBEN at Republic, Takoma Park, 9:30pm
- APRIL 18 – JOHN K. BAND at The Gramercy Theatre, NYC, 9pm
- MAY 11 – COMMUNITY DRUM CIRCLE at the Green Man Festival, Greenbelt, MD
- MAY 11 – DJESBEN at the Green Man Festival, Greenbelt, MD
- JULY 5 – DJESBEN at the New Deal Cafe, Greenbelt, MD
- OCTOBER 5 – DJESBEN at Takoma Park Street Festival, Takoma Park, MD
- OCTOBER 18 – GREENBELT RHYTHM & DRUM FESTIVAL, Roosevelt Center, Old Town Greenbelt, MD, 11am-11pm, Free! Full day of multi-cultural drum performances, drum circles, drum workshops, vending & more!
Music is a gift. As a drummer, I feel the healing power of music through drum circles and performance. Drumming connects us through rhythm … transforms us through music … celebrates our joy. And that, to me, is a healing experience.
Music Heals Us is Katy Gaughan‘s organization that brings the healing experience of group drumming to music festivals, community events, schools, church groups, health and wellness centers, senior citizen facilities, women’s groups, men’s groups, retreats, ritual celebrations.
Katy Gaughan is a hand percussionist and drum circle facilitator in the Washington, DC area. Katy loves bringing community together through music, especially drumming. Katy facilitates drum circles, team building events, drum experiences for retreats, and performs with the bands Djesben, John K Band and the Akoma Drummers.
“4-3-2-1-STOP-2-BACK TO THE GROOVE!”
Katy jumping to a stop at the Green Man Festival’s community drum circle. May 2012.
Pic by Gabriel Jones
Katy facilitates a community drum circle at the Town of Greenbelt’s 4th of July Fireworks Celebration, July 2012. Video by Trevor Siegel.
Katy plays with her band Djesben, at Fantastic Farm, August 2012. This song is “We Stand in Sapphire Silence.” John Kadlecik sits in on violin. Video by Josh Burch.
Katy performs with John K Band at The Blockley in Philadelphia, Sept. 2012. This song is “What’s Become of Mary?” Video by AJ Genovesi.
To see more pics & video of Katy in action, visit my Photo/Video/Audio Gallery.
If you are looking for a drum circle for your special event, a prayerful drum workshop, a teambuilding with drums, drumming for your health and wellness retreat, or musical performance, I am happy to be of service. Please contact me and let’s talk!
IN THE NEWS
Katy was profiled in the April 2011 issue of the Takoma Voice. Click here to read it!
John K Band article in the Takoma Park Newsletter, Oct. 2010 See it here, page 3, “Local Musician Joins the Big Time”
Katy was given a wonderful testimonial in the July issue of Greenbelt’s newsletter, July 2010. See it here, page 2, “Drumming Neglected” by Trevor Siegel
Katy wrote about her experience leading a women’s retreat in Ohio that was published in the Shalem News, Fall 2008. To read that article, click here.